Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tolosa

It's time for a wine post. I still drink it, in case you were wondering.

Some notes below on Tolosa, a super little winery in the Edna Valley near San Luis Obispo. We hit it when we were down in Pismo Beach last month. It's definitely worth a stop if you are in the area. 

Some tasting notes on wines we picked up, all estate grown:
  • 2012 "No Oak" Chardonnay. A really nice fruit-forward Chardonnay that's a welcome change from heavier efforts in Northern California. It's almost French-style, crisp and light, and would pair well with shellfish, chicken, or just some crackers on a warm day.
  • 2011 Pinot Noir. The Central Coast is a good Pinot region, and this wine picks up some of those characteristics. It's medium bodied and earthy. I actually enjoyed it a bit more at the winery than my first bottle at home, which was sharper than I remembered. Still, if you like Pinot you should pick it up.
  • 2010 Syrah. I don't usually go out of my way to drink Syrah. While I was there we tasted it, I thought it was pleasant, so we picked up a few bottles. It was far better than I remembered when we got home. It has a pepper spice that really pops when you sip it, but is smooth on the finish with a bit of citrus. It's a great wine, and I wish I bought more of it (I guess it's an excuse for a return trip).

 The people down at Tolosa are really friendly, know their stuff, and the grounds are beautiful. I'm definitely looking forward to returning, for more Syrah if nothing else!

No comments: