Thursday, November 11, 2010

Define Your Analytics Priority

I've read the recent IBM and MIT research report, and I think it's worthwhile reading for organizations building their analytics strategy. There's some great advice:
  • Start with questions, not data.
  • Embed insights to drive action.
  • Top performers view analytics as a differentiator.
  • Analytics are important for both operational and strategic initiatives.
  • Information must become easier to understand.
  • Analytics initiatives will not be delivered by IT
I take issue with a couple of points in the study. I think the definition of "data visualization" in the report is too loosely defined -- especially given the "easier to understand" directive noted above. And I strongly disagree that there are "standard tools" to enable the transformed organization, nor should that be the focus.

The digram below does a nice job showing how the priorities in analytics are changing, and can help guide your investment and priority (with the Analytics Quadrant, of course).



1 comment:

viji said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.